The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
05-03-2013, 12:57 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate
I believe that Weichmann described the "hustle" but I don't know if his statements were corroborated by the other boarders. I believe some writers have criticized the government for not questioning the ladies as intensively as was warranted.

The strange behavior by Mrs S. if true is IMO is very interesting but is merely a pebble compared to the boulders that could be thrown at her. I have too much respect for her intelligence to believe she seriously thought that JWB would attempt a kidnapping on 4/14.

Like Sam Arnold she would have ridiculed the idea of a kidnapping in a theater by a few people in the presence of hundreds. How would the conspirators have transported their victim thru city streets swarming with revelers and a garrison of thousands of troops? What at this point did JWB expect to get for kidnapping the president? Where would they have taken Lincoln? Jefferson Davis and his government were fugitives.

It would be fun to read the the Washington press speculations on Davis' whereabouts.
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surratt's fate - Thomas Thorne - 05-03-2013 12:57 AM
RE: The evidence that sealed Mrs. Surat's fate - Rhatkinson - 05-03-2013, 09:23 AM