Show us your Lincoln collectables!
12-15-2012, 03:02 PM
RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables!
To Rob and Bill,
I agree overall with the assessment and with placing LBJ in the top 10. The more I learn and read, the more I feel that the significant legislation, passed with pipartisan activity, will come to dominate the assessment of LBJ. To me, Rusk and McNamara through LBJ under the bus re the war. I think they should have left the cabinet.
I am often surprised at JFK in the top 10! To me he was a mediocratity with a captal 'M'! If he had completed a full two terms, I feel that Civil Rights and other forward-looking legislation would have been delyed. It's one thing to be charming, witty, etc. and yet another to be a political animal and realist. One contriubtor used "sleaze" to describe LBJ--Johnson had adroit political skills honed over decades to get things done-I don't care how provincial he may have sounded. Compare Johnson on JFKs death to the weak, cojone-devoid, statement of the current chief executive on the tragic events in Connecticut yesterday, and LBJ comes out on top.
I didn't mean to go on so long--it must be the drugs! I have to go look for a used Stratocaster--maybe I can now play like Jimi Hendrix.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Hess1865 - 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM
RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Joe Di Cola - 12-15-2012 03:02 PM