Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Show us your Lincoln collectables! (/thread-85.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 07-18-2012 09:43 AM

[attachment=12]I think part of the ongoing evidence of Lincoln's legacy is seen in the many "collectable" items that have existed since his day (?) to the present time. I'm always searching antique stores for items of interest. I recently purchased a Roosevelt, Washington, and Lincoln Steersmen Clock as pictured. It's from the 1930's. FDR is "steering" the country through the troubled times of his day (can somebody say: "the Great Depression"). He has no less than Lincoln and Washington as his guides. On one hand, I'm not sure I like the placement of FDR as the prominent figure-but then again- it seems that every U.S. President has aligned himself with the likes of Lincoln for certain advantages-mostly political. FDR was truly one of the greater presidents. My father-in-law was a child during the Depression. He made no bones about it in his mind: "FDR saved America!" At any rate, I like the piece-and hadn't seen it anywhere else until I chanced upon it in my "Lincoln" searches.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 08-18-2012 04:52 PM

Yesterday I took the clock to a clocksmith to see if it could be fixed/cleaned so that it will run. I don't think I mentioned it doesn't run. The clock expert flat out said it was too old to fix. Well, I'm not sure he is right about that so I'll be taking it somewhere else. As I looked at my clock I thought about something someone from this Forum said about clocks at one time being set at 7:22? Since the clock is placed in the "Lincoln Room" in my home-that sounds right to me. My wife just rolled her eyes-but hey-she's used to it! Married 40 years and counting...

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Craig Hipkins - 08-19-2012 11:35 AM

Bill
Great post! Here are a few of my Lincoln collectables. The first is a small wooden plaque with part of the Gettysburg address on it. My grandfather gave me this when I was about 8 years old. I have no idea how old it is. He told me that it was his grandfathers, but he also told me that Lincoln gave it to his grandfather! I surmise that it is about 60 or 70 years old.
The other memento is a hand carved wooden Lincoln that my wife bought me years ago at a silent auction. [Image: img][img]http:]

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Rob Wick - 08-19-2012 12:01 PM

[Image: 003xfg.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really don't have many "collectibles" when it comes to Lincoln, but this little figurine is what sparked my interest. In 1969, my father, then aged 39, died from a massive heart attack. My mother was left to raise four children (I was the youngest at age 5) on her own. She had to work, but wanted to be home when we got home from school, so she went to beauty school, became a beautician, and opened up a shop in our house. She had to go to Springfield to take her state boards, and brought this back for me. From that moment on, I determined to learn all I could about that person. When Mom would "complain" about all the books I owned, I would come back at her with "it's your fault. You bought me the Lincoln statue." She would always smile.

As an aside, the Collected Works which the statue is sitting in front of is also a gift from her, although she doesn't know it. After she died in 2003, I took part of the money she left me and bought the series, along with several other Lincoln books that I otherwise could not have afforded.

Best
Rob

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 08-19-2012 01:47 PM

Craig: wonderful stuff! I smiled at your mention that your grandfather said that it was given to his grandfather by Lincoln himself. And the Lincoln statue is quite unique-a definite keeper. It must be one-of-kind-being hand-carved. Your wife has good taste!

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 08-19-2012 08:59 PM

Beautiful story Rob. Thanks for sharing it with us. I can't help but think that with your father passing when you were so young that Lincoln helped fill a void in your life. That is certainly true for me-as my parents divorced about that age too.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 09-15-2012 08:19 PM

[Image: sandburg.jpg]

Well, sort of a Lincoln collectable. This is a pencil sketch done by Detroit artist George Haessler.
An attached card features the signature of Sandburg.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Rob Wick - 09-15-2012 08:51 PM

That's pretty cool Bill. Where did you get it?

Best
Rob

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 09-15-2012 09:08 PM

At what I consider Detroit's finest used book store called John King Books. I figured it was one-of-a-kind.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Craig Hipkins - 09-16-2012 10:00 PM

That is a good likeness.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 09-17-2012 07:38 AM

I thought so too!

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 10-30-2012 05:16 PM

[Image: photof2261ad212176e032b.jpg]

This is a hand-painted drawing on a rock that I found in an antique store here in Michigan. The picture only shows part of the work. It is portraying General Hooker with troops in 1863. The artist signed "Suwal" on the back. I questioned the store owner about the piece. She said he is an elderly gentleman in his 90's who brings in his paintings every few months or so. I asked her to ask him-next time he comes into the store-to create a rock painting of Lincoln. She said she would. It is not an ordinary thing one would find. Yes, I bought it! Smile

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - L Verge - 10-30-2012 06:27 PM

I used to do rock painting also, but nothing of this magnitude. It's beautiful, and I hope he does take on the job of painting Lincoln.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - LincolnMan - 10-30-2012 07:40 PM

I think is is quite special, as well. I'll keep you posted.

RE: Show us your Lincoln collectables! - Joe Di Cola - 11-07-2012 04:21 PM

This a partial view of my current Lincoln Room in my home. My first Licoln Room was my bedroom in the house where I had my earlier years, and I have had a Lincoln Room since. It is where I keep my Lincoln collection and where I do my work. I have enjoyed looking at other members' Lincoln items and hope this thread will be added to from time to time.

[Image: joeslibrary.JPG]