Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
10-16-2019, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2019 12:48 AM by Steve Whitlock.)
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!

Mr. Hall hypothesized the possible "Nellie LaRue" connection, but it never rang true to me. Regardless, excellent detective work on ruling her out!

Do you have a source for the John W. Starr divorce from "Marie Antoinette?" I would love to add it to my Starr family tree!

Also regarding Mary Jane's daughter, Alice Teresa, her last name was just plain Jenkins, not McJenkins. If it says "McJenkins" in Mary Jane's will, it must have been misspelled.
[/quote]

In the will of Mary Jane Treakle she named her daughters with their maiden names, i.e. Mary Virginia Treakle and Alice Teresa Treakle. The McJenkins came from a news clipping for Mrs McJenkins visiting her sister, Mrs Giles Bartlett. I think I already sent that with the other bunch of clippings, but here it is again, in case I didn't send it, or you can't read it.

The 2nd newsclip is for John W. Starr Jr and Marie Antoinette Starr where she claims marriage in 1869, the divorce in 1871, with a remarriage in 1871. I didn't confirm any of those dates.

As for the will or probate of Mrs Ellen Starr, I found some Starr wills in Baltimore, but none of them Ellen. She should have had an estate needing a probate, and yet there is nothing showing for that. I wonder whether her will was filed someplace other than Baltimore, even tho her death is noted as having occurred, according to the Baltimore Sun, at Saint Catherine's Normal Institute, and there was such a place in Baltimore.

(10-16-2019 12:26 AM)Steve Whitlock Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 10:47 PM)Jenny Wrote:  

Mr. Hall hypothesized the possible "Nellie LaRue" connection, but it never rang true to me. Regardless, excellent detective work on ruling her out!

Do you have a source for the John W. Starr divorce from "Marie Antoinette?" I would love to add it to my Starr family tree!

Also regarding Mary Jane's daughter, Alice Teresa, her last name was just plain Jenkins, not McJenkins. If it says "McJenkins" in Mary Jane's will, it must have been misspelled.

In the will of Mary Jane Treakle she named her daughters with their maiden names, i.e. Mary Virginia Treakle and Alice Teresa Treakle. The McJenkins came from a news clipping for Mrs McJenkins visiting her sister, Mrs Giles Bartlett. I think I already sent that with the other bunch of clippings, but here it is again, in case I didn't send it, or you can't read it.

The 2nd newsclip is for John W. Starr Jr and Marie Antoinette Starr where she claims marriage in 1869, the divorce in 1871, with a remarriage in 1871. I didn't confirm any of those dates.

As for the will or probate of Mrs Ellen Starr, I found some Starr wills in Baltimore, but none of them Ellen. She should have had an estate needing a probate, and yet there is nothing showing for that. I wonder whether her will was filed someplace other than Baltimore, even tho her death is noted as having occurred, according to the Baltimore Sun, at Saint Catherine's Normal Institute, and there was such a place in Baltimore.
[/quote]

Jenny,

Just for my continuing education do you perchance know who the parents were for an Eliza V. Starr who m: William S. Skidmore in Washington DC?

Eliza V Starr

in the District of Columbia, Marriage Records, 1810-1953

Name: Eliza V Starr
Marriage Date: 12 May 1870
Marriage Place: District of Columbia, USA
Spouse: W S Skidmore [William S. Skidmore]
Film Number: 002079252
I haven't been able to find her prior to the marriage. She, b:abt 1848, and her parents are supposed to have been born in VA. they are in the 1870 census for Washington DC, and subsequently moved to Baltimore, where he died in 1904, and she died in 1915.

She may have no relevance for us, but I want to be sure.

As another aside there was a Mollie Turner b: 1841 MD that ran a cigar store in the 1880 census of Washington DC. There were 4 other women and a man with her as well. If that Mollie was Mary Jane (Starr) Treakle I think she would have been in Baltimore, and the birth year should be different. Could Ella have borrowed her sister's alias?

Mollie Turner

in the 1880 United States Federal Census

Name: Mollie Turner
Birth Date: Abt 1841
Birthplace: Maryland
Home in 1880: Washington, Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, USA
Street: D Street North West
House Number: 1315
Dwelling Number: 9
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital status: Single
Father's Birthplace: Maryland
Mother's Birthplace: Maryland
Neighbors:
Household Members:
Name Age
Mollie Turner 39
[NOTE: She has 4 other, unfamiliar women and a man living with her]
Yes, I'm grasping at straws.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Steve Whitlock - 10-16-2019 12:26 AM