Ukrainian President Zelensky announced no presidential elections
11-11-2023, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2023 12:13 PM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Ukrainian President Zelensky announced no presidential elections
(11-11-2023 07:42 AM)Steve Wrote:  https://www.usip.org/publications/2023/1...n-possible

Thank you for posting this article, Steve.

I quote:

Where countries face elections amid upheaval, “there are often good reasons to postpone” a vote, former United States Institute of Peace elections expert Jonas Claes has written, noting recent years’ research showing a rising share of the world’s elections held in the face of violent conflict. (Emphasis added.)

I note that there is not a single reference in the posted article to President Abraham Lincoln's precedent decision on this issue for our democracy.

From my previous post, I post again other experts on the subject matter:

“Lincoln always felt that the Civil War was, number one, about democracy,” says Eric Foner, a professor emeritus of history at Columbia University and author of The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution.
“[Lincoln thought] if you suspend democracy in the middle of the war, you are basically undercutting the whole purpose of the war,” he continues. “So even when he thought he was going to lose, he never really contemplated suspending the presidential election.”

“I think it was one of the most critical elections in our history,” says John C. Waugh, a historical reporter and author of Reelecting Lincoln: The Battle for the 1864 Presidency. “And thank God that Lincoln won.”

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ukrainian President Zelensky announced no presidential elections - David Lockmiller - 11-11-2023 12:10 PM