New Online Map of Lincoln Sculptures
05-19-2022, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2022 02:35 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
RE: New Online Map of Lincoln Sculptures
(05-18-2022 09:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Several years ago we had a discussion of Lincoln statues around the world. It was mentioned that Guatemala had one, but as I recall, no one could find it. So I will ask...is there a Lincoln statue in Guatemala? I can see that Guatemala is not mentioned as a Lincoln sculpture site on Scott and Dave's map.

Roger,

We don't have and couldn't find any information about a Lincoln sculpture in Guatemala. The same goes for Canada (we don't have actual info on one - photo, documentation, etc.), and multiple in Mexico (we have info on one but no photo, documentation, etc. on others). These are ones that you mentioned in the list you had started to accumulate and mentioned in a previous thread. That of course doesn't mean they don't exist. We just have been unable to adequately verify.

If anyone has info on these or other sculptures not in our map please let us know!! There are several more in London that we will be adding in the near future as well as a couple more in California.

(05-18-2022 09:38 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Nice work guys
Interesting to me to see how many of the locations now seem to no longer have their Lincoln statues....like Australia, Portland and Ashland Oregon, and other locations.

Thanks Gene!!

You are right. Some of the stories of sculptures that are no longer in their original place are pretty interesting. Some have been moved to new locations (we are working on updating comments to reflect new locations and old locations), some have been taken down, some are in rotating exhibits (both indoor and outdoor) so not always on display, some have been stolen. Some have apparently just disappeared. We continue to search for more info about all of these.

(05-18-2022 02:43 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  That's a cool thing, Scott - I wish I had had that a few yrs ago when I was able to travel more.

Thanks Eva!!

One of the reasons that we created the map was just what you said. Dave would often get requests from people traveling to a given area and were wondering if there was some sort of Lincoln sculpture in the area they were going to that may be interesting to visit. We thought this may be helpful to people in that way and hopefully also being able to see sculptures they may never be able to get to. We are continuing to work on getting more photos for sculptures that we don't currently have. Some we actually have but we just haven't updated the file yet. Our first goal was just getting as many locations onto the map as we could.

And, hopefully, you will be able to do some more travel again in the future and will have this as one resource. Also, selfishly, I would love to see you again and catch back up in person!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Online Map of Lincoln Sculptures - STS Lincolnite - 05-19-2022 02:27 PM