Abe Lincoln and His Ancestors by Ida Tarbell
01-08-2021, 09:04 AM
RE: Abe Lincoln and His Ancestors by Ida Tarbell
Great question.

The info is on the bottom of page 307-308

Now, it happened that this was court week in Decatur, and as the discussion of what to do with the piano was going on, the court adjourned and judge and lawyers began to join the crowd that had gathered around the wagon. There was a piano in the box, they were told. We want it unloaded. Who will lend a hand?
"A tall gentleman stepped forward," Mrs. Johns writes, ''and throwing off a big gray Scotch shawl, exclaimed, 'Come on, Swett, you are the next biggest man.'
"That was my first meeting with Abraham Lincoln."
Mr. Lincoln took charge at once; bench and bar fell to, and amid great hilarity the instrument was unloaded, un-packed and finally set up. That night, after supper, the whole bar, Judge Davis included, asked Mrs. Johns for a concert. She gives in her captivating "Recollections" the program — a charming echo from the past:

"For show pieces, I played the 'Battle of Prague' and the 'Carnival of Venice,' then
followed with 'Washington's March,' 'Come, Haste to the Wedding' and Woodup
Quick Step,' to convince the audience that I 'did know a tune' or two. For tragedy
I sang Henry Russel's 'Maniac,' and 'The Ship on Fire,' and then made 'their blood
run cold' with the wild wail of the 'Irish Mother's Lament.' For comic, we sang 'The
Widdy McGee' and T Won't Be a Nun,' topping off with 'Old Dan Tucker,' 'Lucy
Long' and 'Jim Crow,' the crowd joining in the chorus. These were followed by
more serious music. Mr. Brown and Mr. Swett joined me in the duet 'Moonlight
Music, Love and Flowers,' 'Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep,' 'Pilgrim Fathers/
Bonaparte's Grave' and 'Kathleen Mavourneen.' Each and all met with applause.
"As a finale, I sang 'He Doeth All Things Well,' after which Mr. Lincoln, in a very
grave manner, thanked me for the evening's enter- tainment, and said: 'Don't let
us spoil that song by any other music tonight.' Many times afterwards I sang that
song for Mr. Lincoln and for Governor Oglesby, with whom it was also a
favorite."
https://archive.org/details/infootstepso...6/mode/2up

A few of these are old Irish songs, and all of the songs mentioned are over 150 years old, so the music and lyrics are frequently very different from a modern version

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abe Lincoln and His Ancestors by Ida Tarbell - Gene C - 01-08-2021 09:04 AM