Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
10-31-2021, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 04:26 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
Welcome, Norman, and thank you very much for this thorough information and insight! Wow, 1, 200 is the size of most "standard" houses in Northern Germany like my mother's, but the 1,200 square feet already include both floors (the entire house). So the Lincolns' home indeed wasn't really of "poor" size!
Could you tell how many square feet the entire property had? And do you know what the neighborhood looked like in the 1850s? How much distance was there between the houses, and was there as much green lawn as today (I doubt there was, so I wonder what it looked like).
Basically I would still love to see the "original" cottage even more than the "final upgrade" because I can less imagine it (especially the "half store" bedrooms). The final house almost appears like a what we call a "town villa" to me. I do think there is a difference between the beginning and the "hight end product" and the degree you can relate from each to Lincoln as someone "one of us" versus looking up to someone of the "high society".
However, I understand it is possibly not possible because not enough is known of what it actually looked like, and I do agree on that even if it was possible, the tax payer should by no means finance such.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - Eva Elisabeth - 10-31-2021 03:16 PM