Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
10-27-2021, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2021 02:35 PM by Anita.)
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed
Thanks to all that posted here. I agree with Joe when he says that "We can agree to disagree. I fear that neither side will convince the other."

Like Roger and Eva, I too would find it an educational experience to see the Dresser cottage as it was when the Lincolns moved in. I find it difficult to imagine the 1200 sq.ft. cottage environment when touring the 1861 3000, sq.ft. version with it's state of the art stove, lovely furnishings, maid's room.

With restoration, one has to pick a point in time. Most homes undergo some remodeling and updating over time. For the Lincoln Home National Historic site, it's the home and neighborhood as it was in 1861. The home had it's two-story remodel in place and it's where Lincoln was elected President. The history narrative works back in time.

The proposal for the Lincoln cottage portrays the history of a Lincoln family starting out in their first home. Mary and Lincoln worked hard as a team hard, to improve their economic and social standing. This history works forward in time. Each home has a history to tell and I see them as complements. Yes, it's a replica but as different from the 1861 home as the Lincoln log cabin which is a replica.

Lincoln's neighborhood, which was more than just four blocks, and underwent a a big change in demographics from 1844-1861 as did all of Springfield. Lincoln was a great walker and the boys roamed the neighborhood way beyond a four block boundary. Lincoln knew everyone or almost!! In other words Lincoln's neighborhood was more than an artificial boundary set at four blocks. There's much the cottage could add to the story, such as the African-Americans and immigrants that made up the the Lincoln neighborhood.

As has been mentioned, there are other serious issues and obstacles with the proposal. Budget and the burden for the NPS is a big one- the cost for staffing, maintenance, security in perpetuity should be integrated into the proposal. Could/should the funds be used for other projects that better meet the mission of the ALA? Then there are the valid concerns about historical accuracy.

I haven't been able to find the ALA reply to the NPS very public position. This is important to the integrity of the proposal. I've contacted the ALA but haven't heard back.
What I love about the forum is the opportunity to revisit history history in search of answers and learning so much I didn't know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Original Lincoln Home Cottage to be Reconstructed - Anita - 10-27-2021 09:19 PM