In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
04-07-2021, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2021 08:44 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
The following is the encapsulated reporting of the Los Angeles Times:

San Francisco school board suspends renaming of public schools

San Francisco's Board of Education voted to suspend the renaming of a third of the city's public schools it said honored figures linked to slaveholding, colonization or oppression.

The vote comes after the decision to rename 42 schools honoring individuals such as Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Sen. Dianne Feinstein set off a political furor that subjected the school board to local and national ridicule. The school board is expected to return to the renaming issue later - after students are back in classrooms full time.

(04-07-2021 07:16 AM)Gene C Wrote:  San Francisco School Board Reverses Decision to Rename Schools
(Fox News article)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san-fra...me-schools

The Fox News story begins in the following manner:

Abraham Lincoln and George Washington have been reprieved in San Francisco.

The city’s school board voted unanimously Tuesday night to reverse a "cancel culture" decision made months earlier to remove names deemed to be connected to racism, slavery, or oppression from 44 schools in the area, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The San Francisco Board of Education said it wanted to avoid "frivolous litigation" from a current lawsuit.

[I had to add the following statement from Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe.]

"I’m definitely on board that sometimes names ought not to be preserved," Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe, who signed on as a plaintiff, told The Chronicle. "I think it goes dangerously far when the Great Emancipator [Abraham Lincoln] is treated as insufficiently woke."

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - David Lockmiller - 04-07-2021 08:22 AM