In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
03-19-2021, 06:18 PM
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
Roger, Bob, and Gene,

We all are, of course, familiar with Napoleon's trope that "History is a set of lies that people have agreed upon," While I'm not that cynical (at least I hope not) there can be little doubt that activism has been a trenchant factor in the study of American history, whether it's Parson Weems to the nationalistic school of history in the early 1900s in an attempt to inculcate patriotism in the thousands of immigrants to the study of history during the Cold War era (Communism, bad; Capitalism, good). We tend to look at the history we were taught in the schools as "the straight story" and anything that comes after that, and threatens that narrative, as revolutionary or not really history, but activism.

If one attempts to promote the 1619 Project as the final word in the study of race and slavery in America, then obviously that deserves repudiation. Yet I don't see it that way. It's an attempt to start and to steer the discussion in a new direction, and one that is more inclusive toward people who have been forgotten when it comes to our history. Think about it. How many African-Americans did you learn about in school? George Washington Carver? Maybe. Booker T. Washington? Probably. Who were the white heroes you learned about? The list is endless. And forget knowing anything about Native Americans or other minority groups.

The fact is that before American history can be considered "colorblind" it will have to go through a period of readjustment and revision. In some instances there will be overreaction and some people will use it in our never-ending culture wars that are really at the root of most of our issues. Who would have even heard of the 1619 Project if Trump hadn't brought it up and Fox hadn't promoted it as yet another example of "liberalism?"

Gene, in your world this program is a threat to the values you hold dear. I can understand that, even if I disagree with you. The genius of America is that all voices are eventually heard. Some just have to scream louder, because their voices have been silenced by a system stacked against them. The 1619 Project is not the endgame for the discussion, but rather the catalyst.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - Rob Wick - 03-19-2021 06:18 PM