In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
12-20-2020, 01:05 AM
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed
(12-19-2020 05:26 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Well, let's see. On November 9, 2020 in post #9 on this very thread I wrote

Quote:While I personally oppose what's going on here,

On December 16, 2020 in post #44 I wrote

Quote:I don't think what you're doing is saving the character and reputation of Lincoln from dishonor.

Best
Rob

Of course, by the use of the word "here" in post #9, you are not actually referring to a location but rather criticizing the process by which the San Francisco School Board and its "blue ribbon" Panel for Renaming of Schools appear set to remove the name of Abraham Lincoln as the honored name of a local community high school for so-called "just causes." This is an assessment and judgment with which we both apparently disagree.

Of course, it is not the community where you live that this unfair and unjust renaming of schools process is occurring. I am the one living "here" in San Francisco. You live "there," wherever your local community might be.

You wrote in post #44: "But I [Rob Wick] don't live in San Francisco. It isn't my right, or even my duty, to tell members of the school board or the community that what they are doing is wrong, unless the board or members of the community asked for my opinion."

I do live in San Francisco. So, it is my right (and for me something I consider to be my duty) to tell members of the school board and the community that what the local school board is doing is wrong. I sought the opportunity and was granted the permission to write a Letter to Editor for the Richmond Review titled: "Do Not Rename Lincoln High School." I believe that the title makes the purpose of my Letter to the Editor clear to the public.

If the school board in your local community also proposed renaming the local Abraham Lincoln High School (if there is one) for the very same justifiable reasons as determined by the Panel for Renaming of San Francisco Schools, what would you do? Something or nothing?

You state in your post #44: "I don't think what you're doing is saving the character and reputation of Lincoln from dishonor."

I will say this in response to your mocking statement: "I am trying to save the character and reputation of President Abraham Lincoln from this "unfair and unjust" dishonor and I mean to keep doing so until the end."

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: In San Francisco, Virus is Contained but Schools Are Still Closed - David Lockmiller - 12-20-2020 01:05 AM