Oath of Office as President of the United States: Lincoln v. Trump
01-19-2020, 07:48 PM
RE: Oath of Office as President of the United States: Lincoln v. Trump
(01-19-2020 02:45 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-19-2020 01:23 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  In my opinion, President Abraham Lincoln was an abolitionist, on a personal moral level, long before he was President of the United States.

David, although what I wrote above may seem otherwise, I agree with you (re: personal moral level).

I am glad that you made this post. I thought that there may have been some distinct measure of daylight between our views on the subject.

President Lincoln wanted passage of the Thirteenth Amendment very much; he was justifiably concerned that the U.S. Supreme Court would invalidate the Emancipation Proclamation.

Ironically, he referred to the Congressional approval and the anticipation of the requisite number of states ratifying the amendment as a "King's cure." President Lincoln did not live to see the completion of the constitutional process (Article V). But, he must have been very pleased that Illinois was the first state to ratify the amendment.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oath of Office as President of the United States: Lincoln v. Trump - David Lockmiller - 01-19-2020 07:48 PM