New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay.
04-24-2019, 09:00 PM
RE: New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay.
(04-24-2019 07:43 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  Is there a contemporary source for this story? I read an account of it on the author's site that had it taking place at Robert's estate of Hildene--which didn't exist at the time of Wilde's visit. And assuming the visit took place at Springfield, Mary Lincoln was in pretty poor shape at the time--I doubt she would have come downstairs even for Oscar Wilde.

I suspect the author is confusing Robert Lincoln with Jefferson Davis. During Wilde's visit to the Davis house, Jefferson Davis excused himself early and later declared that he did not like Wilde. Varina Davis, however, was quite taken with him.

By the way, those who are refusing to read the novel that is the subject of the thread are missing a great read. I started it yesterday and am enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm ashamed that I did not catch that erroneous mention of the event happening at Hildene, which is an early-20th century masterpiece. Since the sentences above refer to Wilde's visit with the Davises, I'm certain you must be correct that Mr. Hunter confused the subjects of the story. I suspect that Robert Lincoln and Jefferson Davis had very similar dispositions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay. - L Verge - 04-24-2019 09:00 PM