New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay.
04-22-2019, 01:13 PM
RE: New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay.
(04-21-2019 11:25 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  When Lewis Gannett and I were arguing back and forth over Tripp's book, I asked why Tripp or he didn't mention looking through either Sandburg's or Ida Tarbell's papers for more details or private letters that detailed their supposed belief that Lincoln had homosexual tendencies (Tripp mentioned Tarbell as having evidence, which at the time I didn't know was her interview with C.M. Derickson). Lewis never answered my question. The obvious reason is that neither man did. I also asked why Sandburg's reference to "streaks of lavender" wasn't mentioned as "code" for homosexuality until 1935 or 1936 given that Sandburg published Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years in 1926 and "streaks of lavender" wasn't prevalent until the 1950s and 1960s. Again, he declined to answer.

Just one note. If reliable evidence could be produced to show that Tripp's theory could be proven or at least given more credibility, we, as students of Lincoln, would have to accept it. It isn't enough to want Lincoln not to be gay (even though that concept in its modern understanding did not exist in Lincoln's time...homosexuality certainly did, but "being gay" did not). As to that end, not being willing to read Tripp's book seems to me too close-minded. Admittedly, my copy is marked up with plenty of things that were pure hogwash, but I would have never discovered that had I not read it. Plus, it's not really fair to the author to criticize something one hasn't read. Just my opinion.

Best
Rob

Great reply. Any thoughts on what Sandburg might have been by his comment then?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay. - LincolnMan - 04-22-2019 01:13 PM