New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay.
04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
RE: New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay.
Gene,

All I'm saying is that the essence of scholarship is that one maintain an open mind combined with a healthy dose of skepticism. When Lewis and I first started our discussion, I hadn't read the book. As I went on, I felt it unfair to criticize it based (as I freely admit I did) on both Gannett and Tripp's being gay as well and wanting Lincoln to be. That said far more about me than it did about the book. Therefore, I bought a copy (used, since it was out of print) and read it. Not only did I feel confident in my original reaction, but I then had evidence and factual analysis to back it up. No one can force another to do something they don't want to do, and I accept your decision not to read it, but I respectfully disagree with it.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New book coming out exploring if Lincoln was gay. - Rob Wick - 04-22-2019 11:48 AM