President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
10-15-2018, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2018 05:37 AM by AussieMick.)
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
My dad used to say to me, when I was annoying him, "Keep it up ... you'll get tired before I do."
(Whether you're my dad or I am ... depends on your point of view)

... I'm going to be repeating myself, but you are ignoring my points and I'm retired so I have time on my hands and I can keep this up as long as you like ...

I notice you ignore my point that the number of losses at Antietam was higher for Union forces than Lee's.
The failure by McClennan to pursue Lee was seen (by every writer and commentator I've read) as being a major error. It led to the war's end being delayed ... and to Lincoln dismissing McClennan. I'd suggest that if you reckon Antietam was anything more than a strategic victory for the North ... then you want your head read.

I'd better deal with your points ... Lincoln obviously wanted to get the Proclamation out of the way. He was indeed desperate for a victory, not just for the war, but to have it as a precursor for the Proclamation. I suggest he grabbed the idea of Antietam as being 'victory' with both hands ... not surprising. It has happened in other wars that a close finish battle is publicised as a victory.

With all due respect to LincolnMan (he, like you or me, just might wrong) I think Grant sometimes drank to excess. He wouldnt be Robinson Crusoe if he did. I dont think that it affected his decisions. Indeed the fact that he led a such a successful life is an enormous credit to him. Ok, I cant prove any of that but its what I deduce from the books I've read.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson - AussieMick - 10-15-2018 04:43 AM