President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
10-14-2018, 12:44 PM
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
Even with my southern roots, I happen to admire Ulysses S. Grant. And, I do not feel that Trump was way off mark with his comments. IMO, Grant had the proclivity for drink in his genetic background, and it didn't help the situation that he lived during a time when the majority of Americans drank - male, female, and youths. He certainly was placed in situations that would cause anyone to drink, and I feel that he was a functioning alcoholic by modern standards.

From the military standpoint, leadership of the Union forces was offered to Robert E. Lee first! To me, that means that Lincoln and others knew what a great military (and human) man Lee was. When he turned it down, Lincoln went through quite a list of generals trying to find one who could consistently win battles. Grant may look like the hero of Shiloh now, but he came so close to losing that one that he was castigated in some of the press of the day. I just did an article for the Surratt Courier on the Lincoln family's visit to Hooker's headquarters in Falmouth, Virginia, in April of 1863. I wrote on an amusing anecdote there, but I also cited a conversation that Lincoln had with Noah Brooks as the family was departing after several days. He basically was worried about Hooker's ability to make vital military plans.

Grant's strategy, to me, was very basic -- hit the enemy long and hard with everything 'ya got! And, by the time he took over the leadership role, the Confederacy was greatly weakened and easier to defeat.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson - L Verge - 10-14-2018 12:44 PM