President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
10-14-2018, 10:20 AM
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
(10-14-2018 05:24 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  I’d say that none of the Union Generals up until Grant had the determination and courage (and to use modern parlance, the risk management skills) to use all the resources available in the best way possible. So I reckon Trump (in his very unique way) has a point.

My point was in reference to Trump's statement recorded on video:

“Abraham Lincoln came home and he said ‘I can’t beat Robert E. Lee.’ And, he had all of these generals. They looked great. They were the top of their class at West Point. They were the greatest people. There was only one problem. They didn’t know how-to-hell to win. They didn’t know how to fight. They didn’t know how."

General Grant was not at either Antietam or Gettysburg when General Lee was clearly defeated and these battles were very important Union wins.

Do you agree with the following statement made by President Trump at the 1:36 mark of the video of his speech?

"Grant really did. He had a serious problem - a serious drinking problem. But, man, he was a really good general. And, he's finally being recognized as a great general."

Do you agree with President Trump and believe that General Grant had an uncontrolled drinking problem during the American Civil War?

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson - David Lockmiller - 10-14-2018 10:20 AM