President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
10-14-2018, 05:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 05:26 AM by AussieMick.)
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson
Hi David,
President Trump certainly does have his own way with words. Just like Presidents Nixon, Reagan and Bush jnr.
I always think it strange that people refer to one General defeating another (example, Duke of Waterloo and Blucher defeated Napoleon at Waterloo). Maybe I’m being picky when you write “ it was General McClellan who defeated General Lee at Antietam”. I know that you are writing in the accepted format used by historians. In my opinion its rare that a battle is won as a result of the actions or decisions of a general. There just so many factors involved (subordinates, quality and experience of the soldiers, resources, location) and not the least of which is luck (according to Napoleon).
And I’d say that it was a strategic victory which was won at Antietam by the Union side (which had considerably more soldiers and had acquired the Confederate battle plans). And apparently McClellan's refusal to pursue Lee's army led to his removal from command by President.
Similarly Meade I think failed to make full use of the victory at Gettysburg.
Meanwhile, I dont think that Grant was sitting on his backside twiddling thumbs. He led forces at Shiloh and Vicksburg and divided the Confederate Force into two. It seems credible that Lincoln did indeed say when being challenged to remove Grant, “ I can’t spare this man … he fights.”

I’d say that none of the Union Generals up until Grant had the determination and courage (and to use modern parlance, the risk management skills) to use all the resources available in the best way possible. So I reckon Trump (in his very unique way) has a point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Trump Presents American Civil War History Lesson - AussieMick - 10-14-2018 05:24 AM