My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
01-22-2019, 04:37 PM
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
(01-22-2019 01:57 AM)GustD45 Wrote:  Mr. Hall, Mr. Gaddy, and Gen. Tidwell researched the Confederate Secret Service rather heavily (Correct me if I'm wrong Laurie). The failed Dahlgren Raid that Mike G seems to think I need to know I have read on Roger's site some time ago.

Mike. The conspiracy the US Government believed transpired in Lincoln's death was only natural as hostilities had still not subsided. The alleged government conspiracy does not bare fruit, but again you won't believe it because you are so steeped in the conspiracy nonsense.

Each of those gentlemen were perfect for the job of investigating Confederate intelligence services. Two (Tidwell and Gaddy) spent their working years doing modern espionage work for the U.S. Dave Gaddy had a long interest in the CW (from the Southern perspective).

The General really went to work on the subject when he purchased property in the Northern Neck of Virginia that was said to be related to the underground system as well as Booth's escape. As for Mr. Hall, he had created a mountain of information before joining with Gaddy and Tidwell and also had a background in military and civilian investigations.

As all three would tell you, a good espionage operation leaves no clear trail, However, there are "signs" along the way that trained eyes know to look for and to analyze. Surratt House's James O. Hall Research Center is blessed to have file drawers upon file drawers of their work.

I would also like to mention one of our own forum members who has been in the game for years, quietly working with the triumvirate as well as continuing once they passed. That would be John Stanton aka Sarah Slater. He's done a lot more work in general - not just on Sarah. John was one of the last people to visit Mr. Hall in his final days, and John says that our mentor said as he left, "Go find them all!" John has been doing just that for over ten years now.

One of the drawbacks in getting Come Retribution accepted in its early days was the fact that fingers were pointed towards Richmond and many folks did not want to accept that Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis could resort to such tactics. To me, at that stage of the game, it would be ridiculous not to consider that they would do anything to win. Of course, my bets are on Judah Benjamin as the man behind the screen.

P.S. For those of you who are old enough to remember (or know your history), Gen. Tidwell was the handler for the ill-fated mission of Gary Powers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination - L Verge - 01-22-2019 04:37 PM