Indiana Magazine of History
06-18-2018, 05:40 PM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History
Thanks everyone.

At this point, I'm focusing on articles in order to show publishers that I have the ability to complete a book-length study. I've got another started that will study the relationship between Tarbell and Albert J. Beveridge. Beveridge had a special dislike for Tarbell, turning her name into a verb. He often referred to people trying to "Tarbellize" the study of Lincoln.

Tarbell hated the term muckraker. She considered herself, first and foremost, a historical writer or biographer. Of course, like many things, the term stuck to those of that era. Although Tarbell didn't hold too many grudges, I think that's a tangential reason she didn't support Theodore Roosevelt in the 1912 presidential election, given that Roosevelt was the one who first referred to the journalists of that era as muckrakers. Of course, her support for Woodrow Wilson is far more complex, but I've always believed the speech TR gave played a small role.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Indiana Magazine of History - Rob Wick - 06-18-2018, 11:06 AM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History - Gene C - 06-18-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History - RJNorton - 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History - Steve - 06-18-2018, 01:16 PM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History - L Verge - 06-18-2018, 03:40 PM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History - Rob Wick - 06-18-2018 05:40 PM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History - Rob Wick - 12-03-2018, 11:09 PM
RE: Indiana Magazine of History - Gene C - 12-04-2018, 11:00 AM