Lincoln and his father-in-law
05-14-2018, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2018 09:51 AM by Susan Higginbotham.)
RE: Lincoln and his father-in-law
I would have to dig, but I believe he also gave some land to Elizabeth Edwards and her daughter at about the same time he made the gift to Mary.

I dug and found it (not bad for a Monday morning)! It's mentioned in an article by James T. Hickey in the Nov. 1979 Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society titled "Robert S. Todd Seeks a Job for His Son-in-Law, Abraham Lincoln." Todd gave land to the Wallaces, the Lincolns, and Julia Edwards in March 1844. He mentions the transaction in the letter to Ninian Edwards, and also discusses using his influence to procure an appointment for Lincoln:

"In a few days 1 shall send forward executed the deeds as originally intended, for Dr Wallace,
Julia Edwards, & for Mr Lincoln & Mary, and desire that each and all of you, shall use it, for
your best advantage in any way you may deem best. Mr Lincoln, wrote me a few days since and
Suggested that he was going to housekeeping; I wish him to avail himself of this Land immediately if it will be of any advantage or add to his comfort in any way. . . .

"Mr. Lincoln I discover is using his influence & talents for the Whig Cause. I think he is right;
for a good government should be first in the mind of every patriot. I can use influence here if
Mr Clay is elected (of which there can be no doubt) to procure some appointment for him,
which will keep him out of Congress until his Situation in a monied point of view, will enable
him to take a stand in Congress, creditable both to himself and Country. Such as District Attorney or
Judge. I will write him in a few days. Present me to all my children and grandchildren in the
Kindest manner."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln and his father-in-law - Gene C - 05-14-2018, 07:08 AM
RE: Lincoln and his father-in-law - Susan Higginbotham - 05-14-2018 09:24 AM
RE: Lincoln and his father-in-law - kerry - 05-20-2018, 02:39 AM
RE: Lincoln and his father-in-law - kerry - 05-20-2018, 12:08 PM