President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
10-23-2023, 07:49 PM
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
Given that no book can be said to be "definitive," especially one written in 1949, I imagine some areas of Hendrick's book might be questioned today. However, David, I would suggest that you read the three or four pages before the comment you posted, given that it explains in detail why Hendricks concluded that Seward wasn't a strong supporter (at least early on) of the Emancipation Proclamation. A serious discussion can be had as to whether or not Seward was a strong supporter, and it's not something I plan to get into with you, but Hendrick came to his conclusion honestly after looking at the available evidence, which is all one can ask for in a book.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House" - Rob Wick - 10-23-2023 07:49 PM