President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
06-01-2018, 08:49 AM
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
In addition to Doris Kearns Goodwin supporting Carpenter's version of events, Professor Michael Burlingame noted in his book Abraham Lincoln: A Life Volume II, page 363: "Lincoln recalled Seward's remarks differently [than Stanton]. To the artist Francis B. Carpenter, the president summarized the secretary of state's argument: 'I approve of the proclamation, but I question the expediency of its issue at this juncture. . . . '"

Professor Burlingame also made the following parenthetical note on page 364: (Seward boasted to a senator, "I have done the state service, for I have prevented Mr. Lincoln from issuing an emancipation proclamation in the face of our retreating army.") [Footnote 203]

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House" - David Lockmiller - 06-01-2018 08:49 AM