President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
05-07-2018, 09:16 AM
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House"
(05-07-2018 05:08 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, like you, I really like Carpenter's book.

Roger, you have made so many trips to Springfield and you made another one last week, I believe. Accordingly, I am reminded of another story from Carpenter's book with which you are probably familiar.

Among the numerous visitors on one of the President's reception days, were a party of Congressmen, among whom was the Hon. Thomas Shannon, of California. Soon after the customary greeting, Mr. Shannon said:

"Mr. President, I met an old friend of your in California last summer, Thomas Campbell, who had a good deal to say of your Springfield life."

"Ah!" returned Mr. Lincoln, "I am glad to hear of him. Campbell used to be a dry fellow," he continued. "For a time he was Secretary of State. One day, during the legislative vacation, a meek, cadaverous-looking man, with a white neck-cloth, introduced himself to him at his office, and, stating that he had been informed that Mr. C. had the letting of the Assembly Chamber, said that he wished to secure it, if possible, for a course of lectures he desired to deliver in Springfield. 'May I ask,' said the Secretary, 'what is to be the subject of your lectures?' 'Certainly,' was the reply, with a very solemn expression of countenance. 'The course I wish to deliver, is on the Second Coming of our Lord.' 'It is of no use,' said C. 'If you will take my advice, you will not waste your time in this city. It is my private opinion that if the Lord has been in Springfield once, He will not come the second time!'"

Francis Carpenter, Six Months at the White House, p. 146 - 147.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln vignettes in F.B. Carpenter's "Six Months at the White House" - David Lockmiller - 05-07-2018 09:16 AM