Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett?
11-22-2017, 06:12 AM
RE: Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett?
(11-21-2017 09:28 PM)SSlater Wrote:  I, FOR ONE, CANNOT SUPPORT A MEMORIAL FOR BOSTON CORBETT. I DO NOT CONDEM THE MAN AND ADVOCATE PUNISHMENT, BUT AN HONORING FOR A MENTALLY DEFICIENT MAN, WHO DISOBEYED ORDERS, WHO SHOT A MAN FROM AMBUSH, WHO I BELIEVE WAS SEEKING REWARD MONEY, THAT HE WOULD NOT NEED TO SHARE WITH THE OTHERS, DOES NOT MERRIT ADULATION.

THE WHOLE INTENT, DURING THE CHASE, WAS TO "GIVE BOOTH A TASTE OF HIS OWN MEDICINE" - SHOOT THE GUY.

I COULD GO ON, BUT THAT IN TURN - IS A MEMORIAL I SAY BACK-OFF AND LET IT GO WITH "THE MAN WHO SHOT BOOTH, AND SHARED THE REWARD." NO MORE, NO LESS.

I tend to agree with John. However, my reason is different. Although I personally believe the traditional version that Boston Corbett shot John Wilkes Booth, it is also not impossible that Booth committed suicide. So I have some concern with building a large monument to a person who probably did what history says but not 100% for certain.

Several years ago Rick Smith and Bill Richter co-authored an article entitled COULD JOHN WILKES BOOTH HAVE COMMITTED SUICIDE AT GARRETT’S FARM? Back in 2014 Joe Beckert sent me the text of the article.

To read Bill and Rick's article click here and here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett? - RJNorton - 11-22-2017 06:12 AM