Removal of Confederate Monuments
05-01-2017, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017 03:55 AM by Gencor.)
RE: Removal of Confederate Monuments
We are not happy in Louisiana that Mayor Landrieu in New Orleans is in the process of removing our statues. I am broken hearted. I don't know what you all have heard but we are not happy at all. I have no idea what started all of this but I do know that people here are furious about it.

(04-24-2017 07:42 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Two news articles regarding the removal of four monuments in New Orleans.

Interesting to note how the two different articles emphasize different points in their reporting.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-...ls-n750036

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/24/new...ments.html

This is what happens when politics, history, and changes in society collide.

It will probably happen again, so is there a better way to handle this issue, or was this the best solution?

I don't see how any of this will solve anything. While I know that there are people everyday who are trying to change history or rewrite it, these statues have meaning to all of us. I don't see how removing flags and statues are going to make things better. Its about history, not politics or anything else. Honestly, I believe that education has more to do with this than any politics ever could. That and the fact that we don't have public servants anymore who know how to appreciate their power and educate the public. I don't understand why there are not more teachers and professors who should be speaking out about all of this and why the schools are not allowing the students to voice their feelings about what they are studying about American History and what these symbols mean. it all makes no sense to me and I am very angry with the Mayor of New Orleans for removing our statues from the city. I have lived with those monuments all of my life and I have been proud of them. They represent a history of that great city and since it is one of the oldest cities in this country, I just don't understand why Mitch believes that this will change anything.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Removal of Confederate Monuments - Gene C - 04-24-2017, 07:42 AM
RE: Removal of Confederate Monuments - Gencor - 05-01-2017 03:48 AM