The 1998 Spittoon Debate in the Lincoln home.
01-30-2017, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 11:20 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: The 1998 Spittoon Debate in the Lincoln home.
Maybe someone gave them to the Lincolns as a birthday/Xmas/election whatsoever gift...

(01-30-2017 10:35 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 09:23 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  And was it the kind of guests Mary would have appreciated at all?

I sure agree, Eva. But I think she was not able to always choose who entered the
Lincoln home during the time frame before and after the 1860 election

When Lincoln just served "Adam's ale" (cold water) to the committee (headed by George Ashmun, on May 19, 1860) notifying him of his nomination as presidential candidate of the Republican Party, Lincoln stated: "Having kept house sixteen years, and having never held the 'cup' to the lips of my friends then, my judgment was that I should not, in my new position, change my habit in this respect."

He didn't chew tobacco either, so I think he was likely not involved in getting/putting up such device. As for Mary - I think she would have also decided in line with appropriate upper class house keeping. Was chewing tobacco a habit appropriate or customary in such peer group? (The brothels and saloons make me think of rather different parts of society.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 1998 Spittoon Debate in the Lincoln home. - Eva Elisabeth - 01-30-2017 11:03 AM