Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission?
04-08-2016, 05:21 AM
RE: Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission?
(04-07-2016 04:43 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Somewhere after the 10th, Booth went to New York (for Orders?) Upon his return, he wired Surratt "to Come here - immediately, the plan has changed."
Surratt and Slater never knew that there was to be an assassination - until it was a done-deal.
What are your thoughts on this?

Hi John. I thought that Booth arrived in Washington on Saturday, April 8th, and was there through the 14th. My mind is blank on any trips Booth made to New York after April 8th.

My thoughts on whether Surratt knew of the Harney mission - I would think that the orders for a mission to blow up the White House came from the top - Davis and Benjamin. I would also think that as few people as possible would be told of such a mission. Secrecy would be paramount. My personal guess is that Surratt was not aware of Harney's mission or failure.

I suppose Surratt could have known about the Harney mission if Edwin G. Lee told him. But would Lee have known?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission? - RJNorton - 04-08-2016 05:21 AM