‘Mourning Lincoln’ Wins Book Prize
02-15-2016, 03:35 PM
RE: ‘Mourning Lincoln’ Wins Book Prize
(02-15-2016 06:22 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Back in 2014 Angela posted this moving link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtV-vpzPj5Y

Thanks again, Angela.

While I am not very well versed in anything assassination related, that add hit me hard and made me want to understand better how the country felt at the time.

It made me travel to Washington in April 2015 and from there on to Springfield. I attended the Funeral Reenactment in Springfield a couple of weeks later and it was - at times - a very moving experience; at other times it felt odd when I noticed that tourists in shorts and flip-flops posed grinning in front of a coffin.
Nevertheless, it was a most amazing thing to be done and I am very happy that I got to be part of it.
In Springfield, and at the ALPLM, you can since a few days ago, find a DVD of those days. I just mailed a copy to Eva and am curious as to what her thoughts are on this since I find her input so very much enlightening here.

One thing that really struck me as wonderful was the fact that, building the hearse for the reenactment, the people who organized it, reached out to a veteran's hospital that worked with people suffering from severe Ptsd. They explained that it was in the spirit of Lincoln's words from the 2nd inaugural ("to care for him who shall have borne the battle") that had the organization committee wanted those people to be part of it.
It's very much worth watching it!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ‘Mourning Lincoln’ Wins Book Prize - Angela - 02-15-2016 03:35 PM