Junius Booth Sr. and the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
08-10-2015, 08:35 PM
RE: Junius Booth Sr. and the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
(08-07-2015 12:28 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I appreciate his love for animals that JWB hadn't sufficiently inherited (thinking of his cruelty against kitties). My favorite of Junius' actions is his burying pigeons. And he freed the slaves working for him.

Does a photo of his first wife (Adelaide) exist?

With regard to Adelaide Booth, nee Delannoy, I recently read a book called “Before the Trumpet: Young Franklin Roosevelt, 1882-1905” by Geoffrey C. Ward. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it not only for those interested in FDR’s early years, but also for anyone who would enjoy a social history of the Hudson River gentry of the mid-late 19th century. The author provides fairly lengthy biographies of Roosevelt’s parents and other relatives. And on page 66, in the chapter discussing the history of the Delano clan (or “de la Noye” as they were originally called), there’s a footnote stating that: “. . . Dutch-born Adelaide Delannoy, seduced by the American (sic) actor Junius Brutus Booth” was among FDR’s colorful antecedents.

So this means Franklin Roosevelt was (distantly) related to the half-brother of Abraham Lincoln’s assassin. Another interesting example of six degrees of separation?

I wonder if we could see a resemblance in a photograph (HA!)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Junius Booth Sr. and the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse - Sally - 08-10-2015 08:35 PM