Spielberg Reveals Lincoln Poster
12-25-2012, 09:49 AM
RE: Spielberg Reveals Lincoln Poster
Last night I was channel surfing and landed on C-Span 3. A re-broadcast of the event that took place at Gettysburg, Nov. 19, 2012 was showing. I had not seen this before. The event was commemorating President Lincoln's visit to Gettysburg. Among the speakers for the occasion were Harold Holzer and Steven Spielberg. Has anyone else seen this broadcast? Spielberg gave a stirring speech. He talked about his 10 years of research on Lincoln for the movie. He mentioned that, like for many of us I'm sure, Lincoln has become sort of a "family member." He called himself a "Lincoln obsessive." He also stated that one of his goals for the movie was that for two and a half hours viewers might experience Lincoln "alive." This was the primary reason why he didn't delve into the assassination. In a word, Spielberg presented himself as a great admirer of our 16th president. I know the movie isn't eveyone's "cup of tea." However, even with those who didn't like the film very much, Spielberg did bring the sight of a real living, human Lincoln on the screen in a masterful way. Doris Kerns Goodwin, whose book Team of Rivals was the basis for the screenplay- was also there-and she offered an excellent speech, as well. Perhaps, the event will be shown again. It's worth seeing.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Spielberg Reveals Lincoln Poster - BettyO - 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
( ! ) - Dawn E Foster - 08-24-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: Spielberg Reveals Lincoln Poster - Hess1865 - 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM
RE: Spielberg Reveals Lincoln Poster - LincolnMan - 12-25-2012 09:49 AM