Lewis Powell's skull and Joseph Gawler
01-23-2015, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2015 07:00 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Lewis Powell's skull and Joseph Gawler
When the bodies were released in 1869, Powell's family had given up securing his body. One family legend states that the body was claimed and taken back to Florida, but different factions of the family dispute this claim. The Powell family had actually moved further into the Lake District of Florida and were probably unaware that the remains of their son and brother had been released. There was a movement afoot according to a few newspapers, by a group of "young Mr. Payne's friends" to acquire a fund to have his body buried in Baltimore. Go figure....I don't have to guess who these "Baltimore friends" were - more than likely the Branson ladies if this story is true. Gawler's firm was hired by the government to exhume the remains of not only Powell, but the rest of the conspirators as well. Their bodies were turned over to their respective families who took charge as to which funeral home would handle the remains. Since there was no one to claim Powell's body, Gawler took charge. He was present when Powell's body was exhumed from the Arsenal wareroom and taken to Graceland, and when Powell was further exhumed and buried in Holmead. It was thought that Powell's skull was removed when his body was taken from Holmead to Rock Creek for burial in an unmarked grave.

There is nothing to identify why Gawler took Powell's skull - something which would have serious repercussions today as a charge of "descrecration of human remains." Whether or not he was paid by the Army Medical Museum we don't know; but I doubt it. Supposedly, he kept it at his funeral home, or so I heard....

At least we can be thankful that Gawler did take the skull, as disrespectful as it was, because had he not done so, poor Lew Powell would never at least partly, rest in peace beside his mom!

Joseph Gawler who took Powell's skull

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lewis Powell's skull and Joseph Gawler - BettyO - 01-23-2015 06:44 PM