Musical chairs in the State Box?
09-27-2014, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 02:13 PM by wsanto.)
RE: Musical chairs in the State Box?
(09-26-2014 09:52 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  I think it's important to remember the notorious inaccuracy of the Deringer pistol, no matter what door Booth entered through. (I favor the Box # 8 door. Remember the rocker rungs) I believe Booth pointed the weapon very close, almost in contact with, Lincoln's head to insure the deed was completed. He could have easily pointed it over the back of the rocker and I'm sure he knew the weapons limitations.

I agree. Booth shot at a very close range.

A very similar rocker circa 1860 is on sale on EBay. It is 24"wide and 48" deep and 44" high in it's normally slightly recumbent position. If you leaned the chair forward, I'm guessing, it is probably 48" or so inches high.

Booth was 68" tall. I guess he could have awkwardly reached over the top of the rocker. But he wouldn't have been able to reach over the top and get the pistol very close to Lincoln if Lincoln was leaning forward enough to move the flag aside and look into the crowd. The chair itself is 48" deep and if Lincoln's head was forward another foot that would be three feet or so from the back of the rocker.

((( | '€ :} |###] -- }: {/ ]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Musical chairs in the State Box? - wsanto - 09-27-2014 02:11 PM