The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
09-16-2014, 06:34 PM
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
By the night of April 16, 1865, whoever Spencer Bronson was had the opportunity to read accounts of the tragedy and assume that they were correct in it being Miss Keene in the box. Especially if she did indeed kneel down to take the President's head in her lap, I doubt that anyone outside of that box or immediately in the small anteroom could have recognized it as Keene. And, if Bronson did see Clara, would he have known who she was? Even when she entered with the Lincolns, I suspect that all eyes were on the presidential pair.

As for exiting the theater, I think that most accounts give credence to it being bedlam in there with people crushing to get to the exits. Citizens of the city that night had to still be in war mode, and any gun shot would spook them. Inside, one could be a sitting duck - outside was a wider space to run, unless Mosby's men had the theater surrounded.... Just adding the latter for a little levity!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head? - L Verge - 09-16-2014 06:34 PM