The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
09-16-2014, 12:28 PM
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
It depends on what size hoop Keene was wearing. I had given a previous size of 3-4 feet in diameter because I was actually typing and looking at one of my staff in her day dress for tours. I am suspecting, however, that Keene may have been in a larger hoop - if her dress was designed for a wedding scene.

As to how stiff it would be, STIFF! Modern hoops are mainly material with three to five rows of wires. In 1865, they literally looked like a bird cage with rows upon rows of exposed wire held together by seaming tape (unless the theater designers used something different). They could be pressed from the sides, which caused them to "hoop" out in front and back. Hence, ladies did not sit in chairs with arms for fear of exposing their ankle or leg! They could sit very neatly, however, with only the back of the hoop being pressed down. I used to demonstrate the technique when I gave tours at Surratt House. It really got the kids' attention!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head? - L Verge - 09-16-2014 12:28 PM