The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
09-14-2014, 09:27 AM
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
In addition to Kees' questions I am curious if anyone knows if we can even agree on the color of Keene's dress. I hope Tom Bogar sees this. In Tom's book he writes, "Nodding numbly, she washed the blood from her face and hands and threw a cape over her bloodstained Act Three costume, a pale gray moiré silk dress, and drew her bonnet close around her face."

This matches the color mentioned by Keene's biographer, Ben Graf Henneke. And the piece of the dress held by the Chicago History Museum is described as "off white."

However, actor E. A. Emerson said, "Laura Keene, one of the leading members of our company, was one of the first to reach the box, and when I saw her she was holding the President's head in her lap and the handsome yellow satin dress she wore in her part was stained all down the front with his blood."

W. Emerson Reck also describes the dress as yellow in his book.

In an earlier thread Linda posted an interesting piece in which it was described as a "bridal dress" but no specific color was mentioned. Linda posted:

"...a statement by Billy Otis who was Laura Keene's dresser on the night Lincoln was assassinated, in an August 22, 1879 article from the San Francisco Bulletin titled "An Actor's Prayer: A Curious Reminiscence of the American Stage."

"When the shot was fired he was in the act of buttoning Miss Keene's glove as she was preparing to go on the stage in bridal costume. At first mistaking the shot, she sent a request that the carpenters should not fire pistols during the acts, and then, when the truth became known, rushed to the washstand, saturated the whole front breadth of her magnificent bridal dress, which she wrung out in a vain attempt to resuscitate the unconscious victim."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head? - RJNorton - 09-14-2014 09:27 AM