Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
10-23-2013, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013 04:31 PM by Anita.)
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
Laurie, You posted: "I notice that the Currier & Ives print includes VP Johnson being present at the deathbed, and we know that's not accurate; so I think we can eliminate trying to get anything from the lithographs."

I'm confused and it doesn't take much! I thought he was at the deathbed.

This is from the http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/hist...ohnson.htm

"Johnson wished to leave immediately to be with the president, but the provost marshal urged him to wait until order had been restored in the streets. At dawn, Johnson, receiving word from Secretary of War Edwin Stanton that Lincoln was dying, insisted on going to the president's side. Flanked by Governor Farwell and the provost marshal, the vice president walked the few blocks to the Petersen house, just across from Ford's Theater, where Lincoln had been carried. Admitted to the bedroom where the cabinet and military leaders were gathered around the president's deathbed, Johnson stood with his hat in his hand looking down saying nothing. He then took Robert Lincoln's hand, whispered a few words to him, conversed with Stanton, and went to another parlor to pay his respects to Mary Todd Lincoln. Somberly, he walked back to Kirkwood House. There, in his parlor, at ten o'clock that morning after Lincoln's death, Johnson took the oath of office from Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Rhatkinson - 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Hess1865 - 10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Anita - 10-23-2013 04:31 PM