Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
10-23-2013, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013 01:33 PM by Linda Anderson.)
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
That's what you call artistic license!

(10-23-2013 12:40 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I also suspect that O'Beirne might have had a little Irish braggadocio about him in claiming to be there at the moment of death -- maybe in the back parlor awaiting instructions from Stanton, but not at the bedside. I'm just thinking that he wasn't high enough on the pecking order to have been included at such a critical moment.

O'Beire wrote his letter to the Editor of the New York Press (published in the Macon Telegraph ) to correct James Tanner's statement in the Press that Lincoln had made a deathbed statement.

"No one has more respect than Corporal Tanner than I, and I do not write this statement to detract from any connection he may have had with the great tragedy. But I know him well enough to feel that in a correct and true statement of the terrible tragedy which so moved our country with sorrow and pity through every loyal heart in it and throughout the civilized world, he does not want any notoriety or importance attributed to him which does not belong to the truth and the facts. I do not write this now for the first time after a quarter of a century for any other purpose than to help in an humble way to fix the correctness of history in regard to the culminating point of one of America's greatest but saddest dramas-the uncalled-for and cruel assassination of that truly good and great man, the martyr, President Lincoln."

GenBank - Macon Telegraph, June 30, 1889

On a totally irrelevant side note, I looked up The New York Press and found that "Press Sports Editor Jim Price coined the name "Yankees" to describe the New York American League baseball team, then known as the "Highlanders".[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Pr...istorical)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Rhatkinson - 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Hess1865 - 10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Linda Anderson - 10-23-2013 01:02 PM