Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
08-09-2012, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 06:03 AM by RJNorton.)
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?"
My opinion is "ages." What I find a little surprising is Gideon Welles apparently didn't hear this at all although he was there. Or perhaps he did and chose not to include them. It's not in his diary.

Welles described the scene as follows:

"The room was small and overcrowded. The surgeons and members of the cabinet were as many as should have been in the room, but there were many more, and the hall and other rooms in the front or main house were full… A door which opened upon a porch or gallery, and also the windows, were kept open for fresh air. The night was dark, cloudy, and damp, and about six it began to rain. I remained in the room until then without sitting or leaving it, when, there being a vacant chair which some one left at the foot of the bed, I occupied it for nearly two hours, listening to the heavy groans and witnessing the wasting life of the good and great man who was expiring before me. About 6 A.M. I experienced a feeling of faintness, and for the first time after entering the room a little past eleven I left it and the house and took a short walk in the open air… A little before seven I went into the room where the dying President was rapidly drawing near the closing moments. His wife soon after made her last visit to him. The death struggle had begun. Robert, his son, stood with several others at the head of the bed. He, bore himself well but on two occasions gave way to overpowering grief and sobbed aloud, turning his head and leaning on the shoulder of Senator Sumner. The respiration of the President became suspended at intervals and at last entirely ceased at twenty-two minutes past seven."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Rhatkinson - 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - RJNorton - 08-09-2012 05:50 AM
RE: Your guess: "angels" or "ages?" - Hess1865 - 10-21-2013, 09:04 PM