Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
12-22-2013, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2013 01:52 PM by J. Beckert.)
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
(12-22-2013 01:01 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The following text is excerpted from Forrest's farewell address to his troops on May 9, 1865:

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be, and will be, magnanimous.

— N.B. Forrest, Lieut.-General
Headquarters, Forrest's Cavalry Corps
Gainesville, Alabama
May 9, 1865"

I've read Forrest's farewell before and it has always struck me as one of the finest I've ever read. His sentiments quoted above are words everyone who goes in harm's way should hear from their leader. Long before I read them, I remember telling subordinates I wouldn't ask them to do anything I wouldn't do (and most likely had done) myself. I think his words regarding reconciliation were profound, given his devotion to his duties.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - Hess1865 - 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - J. Beckert - 12-22-2013 01:51 PM