Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
12-22-2013, 01:01 PM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
The following text is excerpted from Forrest's farewell address to his troops on May 9, 1865:

"Civil war, such as you have just passed through naturally engenders feelings of animosity, hatred, and revenge. It is our duty to divest ourselves of all such feelings; and as far as it is in our power to do so, to cultivate friendly feelings towards those with whom we have so long contended, and heretofore so widely, but honestly, differed. Neighborhood feuds, personal animosities, and private differences should be blotted out; and, when you return home, a manly, straightforward course of conduct will secure the respect of your enemies. Whatever your responsibilities may be to Government, to society, or to individuals meet them like men.

"The attempt made to establish a separate and independent Confederation has failed; but the consciousness of having done your duty faithfully, and to the end, will, in some measure, repay for the hardships you have undergone. In bidding you farewell, rest assured that you carry with you my best wishes for your future welfare and happiness. Without, in any way, referring to the merits of the Cause in which we have been engaged, your courage and determination, as exhibited on many hard-fought fields, has elicited the respect and admiration of friend and foe. And I now cheerfully and gratefully acknowledge my indebtedness to the officers and men of my command whose zeal, fidelity and unflinching bravery have been the great source of my past success in arms.

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be, and will be, magnanimous.

— N.B. Forrest, Lieut.-General
Headquarters, Forrest's Cavalry Corps
Gainesville, Alabama
May 9, 1865"

Impact of Forrest's military doctrines:

Forrest was one of the first men to grasp the doctrines of "mobile warfare" that became prevalent in the 20th century. Paramount in his strategy was fast movement, even if it meant pushing his horses at a killing pace, which he did more than once. Noted Civil War scholar Bruce Catton writes:

"Forrest ... used his horsemen as a modern general would use motorized infantry. He liked horses because he liked fast movement, and his mounted men could get from here to there much faster than any infantry could; but when they reached the field they usually tied their horses to trees and fought on foot, and they were as good as the very best infantry.[43]
Forrest is often erroneously quoted as saying his strategy was to "git thar fustest with the mostest." Now often recast as "Getting there firstest with the mostest,"[44] this misquote first appeared in print in a New York Tribune article written to provide colorful comments in reaction to European interest in Civil War generals. The aphorism was addressed and corrected by a New York Times story in 1918 to be: "Ma'am, I got there first with the most men."[45] Though a novel and succinct condensation of the military's Principles of mass and maneuver, Bruce Catton writes:

"Do not, under any circumstances whatever, quote Forrest as saying 'fustest' and 'mostest'. He did not say it that way, and nobody who knows anything about him imagines that he did."[46]

Forrest became well known for his early use of "maneuver" tactics as applied to a mobile horse cavalry deployment. He sought to constantly harass the enemy in fast-moving raids, and to disrupt supply trains and enemy communications by destroying railroad track and cutting telegraph lines, as he wheeled around the Union Army's flank."

Above taken from a bio of Forrest done by the Civil War Trust as well as wikipedia.

I hope that everyone reads at least the first paragraph of the farewell address. Also, I know that many historians have vilified Forrest for two things - the so-called massacre at Fort Pillow and his early activities related to the KKK. It has been my understanding that Union Gen. William T. Sherman conducted an investigation of what happened at Fort Pillow and determined that the forces there had not surrendered, the Union flag was still flying from the fort, and that the men killed were not yet prisoners of war.

As for Forrest's affiliation with the Klan, I thought that he was instrumental in founding it, but soon detached himself from it. As for his military skills, see above. I believe that Lee and Davis even admitted that they had not taken full advantage of the military skills the man had.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - Hess1865 - 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - L Verge - 12-22-2013 01:01 PM