Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
12-21-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
Not to start another argument, but what makes Rommel better than Forrest? Are we judging on military matters or Nazi vs. Confederate? If the latter, someone's prejudices are showing... My old school education is showing, but "prejudice" is a word we used to use before "racism" was substituted for better sound bytes.

It reminds me of another teaching experience. About my second or third year of teaching, I had a young, cute, thirteen-year-old black girl ask me on the first day of class if I were prejudiced (in front of the whole class). My response was somewhat like this, "I don't care if you are green with purple and pink polka dots; if you don't do your assignments and flunk your tests, you are not going to pass this class."

I also taught with a great black art teacher who had the same thing pulled on him by a black mother when he called home to report her son's bad behavior. He was immediately accused of being prejudiced against black students - the mother had no idea what he looked like. He told her to visit him at school so that she would see that he was the same color as she. She couldn't think of another thing to say except that she would talk to her son.

Rob facetiously asked a few postings ago if racism still exists. The two examples that I just gave you contributed to my answer that it does exist and covers all elements of society in the world. And that's why it bothers me that Rommel should be compared with Forrest. 150 years have gone by, and old prejudices still exist. They have even led to lawsuits based on reverse discrimination. There are two sides to every coin -- some are just too lazy or too blind to turn the coin over.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - Hess1865 - 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - L Verge - 12-21-2013 03:36 PM