Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
12-20-2013, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 04:12 PM by J. Beckert.)
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
I agree with most of what you said, Rich. It's interesting to ponder if the war would have ended sooner had Lee been a Union General. I also agree slavery was a vile institution. What I don't agree with is judging ways of life that were the norm 150 years ago. Like I stated in another thread, this was an age when soldiers were shot dead for merely falling asleep on picket duty. They could also be branded with a hot iron for military rule infractions. Extreme discipline that we can't imagine today was the norm then. Attitudes were very different.

Blacks in that era were probably regarded by some as little better than farm animals. Something else we can't imagine or condone, but it's the truth. I personally don't blame anyone of that era for their ignorance with regard to race relations. It was a different time and they were ignorant of many things that are now social norms. Some folks blood just boils that we didn't realize back then how blacks were our equals - but they weren't - at least on their social scale. That's the way they thought. This "they should have known better" attitude doesn't wash with me.

We've met twice before, Rich and I do think you're a very personable and nice man. I know nothing of your personal leanings, but it seems to be a constant that liberal white guilt comes to the surface whenever slavery is mentioned and I think that's a shame. I don't have any, don't understand it and don't want any. I treat everyone with respect and expect the same. I think hard work and education is what will allow any of us to advance and we all deserve the same chances at success. I think programs like affirmative action are descriminatory and racist. The sins of the past are still there - in the past. To try and whitewash our history and apologize to everyone we've wronged is counterproductive to me.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - Hess1865 - 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - J. Beckert - 12-20-2013 04:11 PM