Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
12-20-2013, 03:10 PM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
Joe, I am not comparing anyone. I abhor war and killing in any shape or form. There is never enough discussion by governments before declaring war and sending soldiers and many time civilians as collateral damage to their deaths. How many civilians (including children) were killed during the Civil War by both sides? It is hard to tell but any is too many. Even today with bombing and drones innocents (including children) are still being killed. Historians portray Lee as one of the wars most successful generals and strategists. What if he had not sided with the confederacy but remained loyal? Would the war have dragged on? Would as many soldiers on both sides died and as collateral damage - civilians? I would venture to say the war would have ended within two years and possibly half the casualties avoided. And why are questions termed "ludicrous" whenever slavery or a confederate general is mentioned? We should stop looking at these subjects through gone with the wind colored glasses. Slavery may have been one of the most vile episodes in this countries history that effected many helpless children and anyone that championed prolonging the institutions was a vile human being. And yes I am judging by todays standards but do not think my opinion would have been changed if I lived 150 years ago.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - Hess1865 - 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - Rsmyth - 12-20-2013 03:10 PM