Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
12-20-2013, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 11:20 AM by L Verge.)
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits?
The thought that we would even consider comparing Lee and Jackson to the likes of McVeigh or the Boston bombers and other terrorists is ludicrous. Actually, Mandela in his revolutionary days was more akin to them.

Joe makes a good point that it is ridiculous that we can "forgive" modern atrocities while continuing to condemn those of 150+ years ago. I am reminded of the old cartoon of the ancient Confederate standing with the battle flag in hand and the words "Forget, hell!" that has been around my entire lifetime. Judging by some of the comments that I have read on this thread, maybe we should change that to a modern Union man still holding the Confederate flag and saying, "Forget, hell!" It appears that hatred still runs deep on both sides?

It might interest some of you to know that I happen to admire Ulysses S. Grant because he knew what it took (as did Lincoln and Stanton) to win the war. I don't know if his portrait hangs in either the Citadel or VMI, but if it did and was taken down because of his actions against his fellow Americans, I would be upset.

(12-19-2013 09:44 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Read this.

Best
Rob

http://www.civilwar.org/education/histor...lding.html

Good article, but nothing new. I was reading similar texts back in college days and comparing them in class with abolitionist statements. Too bad that Mr. Rhea did not write a companion article on the Northern viewpoint to show that propaganda was rampant on both sides.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - Hess1865 - 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Removing Confederate Generals portraits? - L Verge - 12-20-2013 10:46 AM