Thomas Cole painting and the Seward House Museum
08-31-2013, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 10:01 PM by Linda Anderson.)
RE: Thomas Cole painting and the Seward House Museum
Herb, my husband and I visited the Seward House Museum for the very first time last Tuesday. There are so many wonderful things there that I hope I can return soon. Of course, the bloody sheet from Powell's attack and the carriage that Seward and Fanny were riding in when Seward was injured in the carriage accident were fascinating to see but I also loved Fanny's toy collection and the wonderful painting of Fanny and her older brother Will that hangs in the nursery. Not to mention the gilded chairs and the long dining room table with its silver-plated epergne (centerpiece) that Seward brought from the Old Clubhouse. And the Underground Railroad in the kitchen and the portraits of dignitaries from all over the world, Seward's study where he died and a wreath of pressed flowers from Lincoln's funeral.

The Cole painting is 84" by 60." I wish I could have seen the original.

Craig, that's a wonderful article! Thanks for sharing. It's interesting that you keep the prints in your drawer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thomas Cole painting and the Seward House Museum - Linda Anderson - 08-31-2013 08:54 PM