Does a State have the right to secede?
08-21-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: Does a State have the right to secede?
Tom,

First, let me acknowledge your points regarding the difference between a legal discussion and a moral one. I don't believe you're advocating secession.

That said, I think the power of the anti-Federalists made it necessary for those states to provide some type of bone to get the necessary votes to ratify the Constitution. By the time New York, Virginia and Rhode Island were ready to vote, the Constitution was already in force in nine of the thirteen colonies. Even though many felt it necessary that Virginia and New York ratify it, if they hadn't, what exactly would have happened? Chances are, they would have become entangled either voluntarily or otherwise with England and that would have been disastrous for them (and even possibly for the newly-created United States).

To be honest, I find myself moving away from this discussion. If the founders chose not the answer it, how can we?

I do want to make one comment on brtmchl's comment "Secession, what it really is, is Rebellion. Which any truly "free people" have the natural right to do." I can't agree with that if any other avenue is open. As long as people have the ballot, a determined minority has no more a right to secede or of rebellion than the South had. If they don't accept the outcome of a vote, that doesn't constitute oppression. Indeed, to accept that it does would be anarchy.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does a State have the right to secede? - Rob Wick - 08-21-2013 06:18 PM
RE: Does a State have the right to secede? - Hess1865 - 08-24-2013, 09:04 PM