Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
09-11-2012, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 05:51 AM by RJNorton.)
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story
Tom, one of the most interesting topics in Thomas Mallon's book is the mention of Rathbone's "divided" feelings. Mallon implies Rathbone was very upset with Lincoln over the loss of all the lives in the Civil War. Keep in mind that Mallon's book is historical fiction, but he has Henry telling Clara (the night he killed her):

-------------------------------------------

I did not do everything I could, and I was not negligent either. I saw him open the door, Clara. I saw him stand there for a good five seconds. I never got up from my chair. I let him do what he did!"

"I let it happen. I wanted it to happen."

"Yes, Clara, I wanted it to happen. I wanted to avenge all the soldiers he'd sent to die. I wanted to hurt all the old men who'd made the war."

"I regretted it the moment the gun went off and then I leapt to stop Booth."

---------------------------------------------

I do not know how much of what Mallon says is true regarding Rathbone's mindset; but if any of this is true, the man indeed was horrendously tormented for the duration of his life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal choice of "most tragic" character in the assassination story - RJNorton - 09-11-2012 05:47 AM